Friday 18 April 2014

Sound Recording!

An opportunity arose to record the audio for the advert, with the help of friends and Audio Production students James Palmer and Katherine Campbell.

I took the script along to one of the recording studios here at the University of Lincoln and spent a couple of hours reading and re-reading various versions of the script. I recorded a few different versions in case I decide to change the script later in the development of the project.

With the files safely stored on a USB I took them into Adobe Audition where I could edit the sound to be exactly what I wanted, following advice from James and Katherine. Sourcing appropriate royalty free music was my next task.

First stop, incompetech.com. This site has a huge variety of sound effects and soundtracks that are royalty free, perfect for this sort of project. After a search through a range of styles and tempos I selected a track called Perspectives(.wav). The track is originally 11 minutes long, however I trimmed it down to the required 60 seconds.

After adding a fade in and out, I began cutting the voice recordings. Removing bad takes and any pops (we added a pop filter on the second take) left me with the best run throughs, which I then chopped up into each line and began constructing the dialogue with the best takes of each line, following the script.

Once all the lines were ordered and balanced, the audio was ready to export.

The next step is to begin animating to the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment